Welcome to Day 4 of 30 in the 20/20 Life Vision Challenge!
Who is your supporting cast?
Before we identify your supporting cast, sign up here if you haven’t already to unlock the worksheets for each of the challenges along the way.
To quickly recap what we have (hopefully) done so far:
- Day 1: The Rocking Chair – was a visualization exercise intended to elicit emotions, deep reflection and vision for how you feel about your current and future phases of life.
- Day 2: More (or Less) Time – prompted us to get more specific about how we spend our time, and gave us the freedom to imagine a different, more harmonious life schedule.
- Day 3: Strengths & Weaknesses – put a mirror in front of us (figuratively), so that we can take stock our resources and road blocks. It also suggested feedback from a third party – be it a family member, close friend or objective outsider (ie. a therapist, life coach, etc).
In the CEO of Me concept, I recommend forming a Board of Advisors or Directors, either formally or informally. Today (Day 4) we begin that process, as we go beyond ourselves and own ideas, bringing in others who know us well, that are actively part of our lives, and give feedback and encouragement as we move along our life path.
You can learn a lot about someone based on who they rely on and spend most of their time with. From my observation, many of us do not have an effective and nurturing supporting cast. We go with the easy road, surrounding ourselves with familiar faces that were part of our lives all along. Some are lucky enough to have at least one strong role model, maybe a parent or a friend, who is capable of collaborating on life’s trials and giving guidance. With a little bit of effort, we can find new people or revive old relationships that are positive influences. Who might you be comfortable talking to about your goals and deepest desires?
Your challenge today is to envision the ideal Board of Advisors for your life, a group that gives you the best chance of fulfilling your 20/20 Vision.
DAY 4 ASSIGNMENT:
- Using the 20/20 Life Vision Workbook (if you don’t have it, use Excel or any notebook), start a list of potential Board members, noting in an adjacent column which areas of your life (ie. Remember your Life Categories from Day 2) each person can positively influence. Your Board can be anywhere from 3-15 members deep; 7 is a sweet spot.
- Note how often you interact with each potential Board member currently? It is not imperative that they are local to you; however it is ideal to have at least 3 that you see face to face a few times a year or more.
- List any current or potential support groups and meetups, formal or informal, that are a source of positive energy for you, in one or more domains of life.
Best of luck with this important task, and see you tomorrow!